HCMC Dining Guide

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Greetings!

Hello, and thanks for checking out my blog. Yes, I know the name is lame, I'll come up with something better eventually. My goal here is to do my best to describe what life in Southeast Asia is like, from the food, to the people, to the landscapes, or whatever else may pique my interest. First, a quick geographic primer for those that may not know the difference between Serbia and Siberia. My trip begins with two weeks of training to teach English in Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia, a country located on the Indochinese peninsula. Bordered by Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam, with a southern coast on the Gulf of Thailand, Cambodia is a rather small country, with a population of just 15 million. Vietnam, the country where I will be working, is much larger, with a population of 86 million. Vietnam also borders Laos, but not Thailand, and China is its northern neighbor. The country also has a 2000 mile-long coastline on the South China Sea. I'll discuss Vietnam and Ho Chi Minh City, where I will most likely live, more deeply in a later post. For now, just the basics, and here is a map to help with the above description:
Nothing too complicated, except for some of the names, I suppose. I'm really excited, and a little nervous, for this adventure, so I hope you'll follow this blog because I'm gonna try to make it as interesting as possible. All while keeping the "Apocalypse Now" references to a minimum...something that may be difficult. Anyways, I leave on August 26th, and I hope to post some initial thoughts after I get my bearings in Phnom Penh.

No comments:

Post a Comment