HCMC Dining Guide

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Spectacular Angkor

I apologize for the lack of updates, but my hard drive crashed the day after I got here, so I've been relying on the kindness of others and an internet cafe for computer use. Anyway, I got back today from a trip to Siem Reap, a city in northern Cambodia that is famous worldwide because the ancient city of Angkor sits just outside of it. Angkor was built as a planned capital by the Khmer Empire between 1000 and 1200 AD. The city consists of several temple complexes, ranging from almost perfectly preserved to largely destroyed. We toured four sites, and it was possibly the most incredible place I've ever been. I wish I could upload more pictures, I took a lot, but the internet here is quite slow, but let me say that everyone should add a trip to Angkor to their bucket list. The fact that these temples were built 1000 years ago, before the discovery of electricity or the invention of modern construction equipment, is mind-blowing. The level of detail in the carvings on walls and the intricacy of the temple towers is incredible. I really felt like I was in a movie at some points.

One of the temples is nicknamed "Tomb Raider," because that movie was shot there. We saw this one after a monsoon rolled through, and the floodwater combined with the ancient walls and trees whose roots have grown through the stones made for a truly magical moment. A lot of the sights at Angkor are truly hard to describe, so these three pictures will have to do until I can get the rest up on Facebook and Flickr.The scaffolding on that last one does suck, but it still looks pretty cool. Anyways, I'll try to have another post up in the next couple of days. Until then, good night.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Ruins look pretty cool. The hard drive crash is a bummer, i guess that means no skype? How is the communication barrier?

    ReplyDelete