HCMC Dining Guide

Friday, October 29, 2010

The City of Lights

I know this is Paris's nickname, but I think it fits Saigon as well. This past week I've enjoyed the view of the city's skyline at night from three vantage points: the bar on the 23rd floor of the Sheraton Hotel in District 1, the middle of the bridge that connects Binh Thanh District to District 2, and the shoreline in District 2. These views allowed me to realize just how huge this city is: lights stretch as far as the eye can see, and it's easy to tell that Saigon will become another Asian megacity soon, joining the ranks of Bangkok, Shanghai, Jakarta and others as heaving masses of humanity full of huge buildings and bustling with ever more commerce and tourism. To illustrate this visually, this post will be a photo essay of the best shots I took this week.
The Bitexco Financial Tower and other buildings - taken from the Sheraton

Looking out over District 1 towards District 5

This is by far my favorite - in the distance is District 3 and beyond.
The heart of District 1
 
All of Saigon laid out before me


High-rises like these will house Saigon's looming population boom - by 2020 the metropolitan area is expected to contain 20 million people.


The core of the city. Given all of the construction going on in this area, this view will look far different in a year.

As you can see, this city is enormous, and is quite striking at night. I will visit these same points during the day soon so I can get some more detailed pictures. I also want to compare the shots taken now to the ones I will take before I leave the city. I expect the difference to be huge. As I've mentioned in other posts, there is construction going on all over the city, and things are changing fast. Keep your eye on this page to follow those changes.

3 comments:

  1. This must be the bridge that connects District 2 to District 7? Scenery is magnificent. Very beautiful and peaceful in the evening :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I'm on the bridge that connects District 2 and Binh Thanh district. The bridge from 2 to 7 is in one of my more recent posts. It is very peaceful in the evening though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That new building being build is so huge! The bitexco one, I passed by it the other day, even the bottom of the tower is huge!

    ReplyDelete