HCMC Dining Guide

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Happy Tet!

Over the last month or so this page has basically turned into nothing more than a travel blog, which isn't what I had in mind when I started this thing last year. That being said, things aren't going to change anytime soon. On Saturday I'm leaving for a 10-day trip to Thailand, so after this post I'll be going on a 2-week hiatus. Upon my return I'm sure I'll have glorious tales of travel from Chiang Mai, Koh Tao, and Bangkok, but I do plan on eventually getting back into writing about Vietnamese society and culture. Since I seem to have acquired some new readers recently, I'd like to post links to my five favorite (and older) blogs that don't involve travel, just to give a sense of what I've talked about in the past.

http://mike-alongthemekong.blogspot.com/2010/11/cult-of-personality.html - A brief biography of Ho Chi Minh and what he means to Vietnam.

http://mike-alongthemekong.blogspot.com/2010/12/classes-of-classless.html - Vietnam is officially a Communist country, but it is easy to tell that there are many different classes within Vietnamese society.

http://mike-alongthemekong.blogspot.com/2010/10/obligatory-culture-shock-post.html - Culture shock. How bad is it?

http://mike-alongthemekong.blogspot.com/2010/12/he-walks-like-he-has-dyslexia.html - A report on the highly entertaining students in one of my classes.

http://mike-alongthemekong.blogspot.com/2010/12/cafe-culture.html - I've gotten a lot of compliments on this post about some of Saigon's elegant cafes, so here it is again.

If you haven't read any of my older posts, I hope you enjoy this sampling, and like I said I plan on returning to similar topics at some point in the future. I don't want this to just be some navel-gazing, self-centered travelogue; I'm not an interesting enough person for that.

Anyways, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Tet (Lunar New Year) holiday! I believe the official date is February 3rd, but Saigon is already in full holiday swing: the traffic has been an absolute nightmare recently; imagine Christmas Eve every day but with millions of motorbikes; decorations are going up everywhere, and you can't go five feet without seeing the Vietnamese yellow star on a red background. In a few days this place will empty out as everyone goes to visit their families in the countryside, but for now Saigon is the definition of chaos. See you in a few weeks, and happy holidays from bustling Saigon!

3 comments:

  1. hey dude, you're doing a fine job. as a reader you travels are much more informative than discussing Vietnam's hitory. your experiences in all aspects keep the readers coming back. places, prices, people's interactions and reactions, meeting other expats or what you learn from other people experiences,etc, these are things that readers want to read. get it?
    you're doing a good job being there and experiencing so many things: so share everything! thanks,
    California reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. and get a vietnamese for wife. don't come empty handed. get a nice looking one who knows how to cook and make you happy, unless a fat all American girl is waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Michael! I've done some myself, and yours is one of the best I've read. But I can't get your email to work! Keeps bouncing.

    ReplyDelete