HCMC Dining Guide

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Rush Hour

Ever since I started driving a moto here a few weeks after my arrival in September of last year, I've wanted to post a video of what it looks like to drive through Saigon's chaotic traffic. I've written about the experience several times, but words just don't do the madness justice. 99% of the time I drive myself, which precludes me from filming. I've added a few videos of driving through rural areas of Vietnam on here, but they were taken on fairly empty roads where it was safe enough for me to steer with one hand while holding my camera with the other.

In recent weeks it has become glaringly obvious that the amount of vehicles on the streets here has dramatically increased since last year, and tonight I felt like machine-gunning entire intersections as I made my way home from a meeting during the evening rush hour. Shortly after I got home, we went for an appointment to view an apartment at 6:30, and my roommate Anthony offered to drive to the building, so I decided to grab my camera and film a few minutes of the drive. Traffic had actually thinned out considerably, but it was still pretty busy, so this should give you a good idea of what driving here is like. This will probably horrify my mother, but all of the close calls are completely normal.

11 comments:

  1. Michael, bonjour...This ia the best Video Game ever!...Superb colors, fiery and burning energy! A whole orchestra of every instruments there !
    BRAVO ! c'est fantastic....more later...

    ReplyDelete
  2. may I ask which camera you use to film this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manon - Merci beaucoup!

    Anonymous - I used a Canon SX20, it's over a year old so they have a new model - I believe the SX40 - out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing image quality. Thnaks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehehe you totally took me back to my time there. Try crossing the roads on foot! And the noise! Miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really!? You miss the noise? I don't really mind the engine sounds, but the honking is incessant and nerve-wracking!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog through unanchored.com. Where are the traffic lights? At least the rds are paved. I forget the road conditions in early 90s when I was there. Have to share this w/rest of my family. Would love more video uploads for us Vietnamese Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't worry, there are traffic lights - we were stopped at one at one point in the video, but that was a stretch where there's only a couple. I'm sure it's far different compared to 20 years ago. I want to post more videos, I just haven't had time to take them recently!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not crowded enough.
    You guys was going on the car line
    Because you are in Viet Nam :)

    Nhat
    www.houseinhcm.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You mentioned your mom on this post. I am just curious whether any member of your immediate family from the states visited you inHCMC yet? If they have visited what do they think of VN?

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, none of my family members have been able to visit yet. I've had three good friends visit though, and they all loved it here.

    ReplyDelete