HCMC Dining Guide

Monday, November 14, 2011

A Week in Pictures

Tuesday: lunch at Up Cafe in between classes
 Tuesday afternoon: substitute teaching the 3 year-olds
Tuesday night: dinner at Quan Bui, an awesome recent addition to the Vietnamese dining scene (pardon the poor shots, the lighting wasn't great)
mango salad
fish in clay pot
rau muong xao toi
Thursday afternoon: recording studio at Tuoi Tre newspaper, where I read articles to be posted on their website
 
Thursday night: Reviewing Agapestro, a stunning new French restaurant in District 2, for AsiaLIFE. $50 meal for free.

seafood fricasse
Australia rib-eye with pepper cream sauce, beans, and mashed potatoes
seafood puff pastry case
chocolate, pear, and custard cream cake
 Sunday afternoon: relaxing
Much of the time in between these activities was spent either teaching or driving to school.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a pretty interesting week! I am curious as to how you found all your freelancing work (writing for AsiaLIFE, news voice-over, and any others).

    Do you enjoy those jobs? Do they pay well? They seem like interesting and fun little side jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well AsiaLIFE isn't actually freelancing - I'm an editorial intern, so my services go unpaid since I don't have any industry experience. Anyway, I emailed the editor a couple of story pitches, and he liked my writing, so we just went from there.

    The newspaper was just a stroke of luck - a Vietnamese friend of mine works there, and she asked me if I wanted to do the voice work when they launched it on their website a few months ago. I make $40-$50 a week doing that, which doesn't seem like much but I only put in about 3 hours of work each week.

    I definitely enjoy them both, and I'm hoping at some point they'll turn into more than side jobs - ideally I'd be able to make enough money writing that I could stop teaching, since I don't want to make a career of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your swimming pool looks nice - where's that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's in Van Thanh Park, in Binh Thanh district. Off of Dien Bien Phu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, have you ever taught adults in conversational English classes? To me, it's lightyears better than teaching kids. I have nothing against kids, but I simply do not like teaching them.

    I could imagine making a semi-career out of teaching English to adults, but I could never imagine teaching kids as a career.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have taught adults numerous times. I like teaching them, and I really like kids as well - especially in the 6-10 age range. By that point their English is good enough that you don't have to just repeat the same basic words over and over, plus they are a lot of fun and very eager to learn. Adults and kids are fine - teenagers are the ones that suck.

    ReplyDelete