HCMC Dining Guide

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Movin' On Up

Yesterday I moved into an apartment in a high-rise complex in Saigon's District 5. I'll be living with Anthony, my friend from college who has been one of my roommates here for almost a year, and Charles, who is a teacher. Dealing with my landlord over the last two days in the old house was harrowing, and was probably the worst experience in my time here in Vietnam. I'll cover that in detail later, but suffice to say for now that the woman should not be allowed to own property, and if this were America we would have already taken her to court.

After finally getting everything over to the new place yesterday afternoon I was more mentally and physically drained than I have been in a looong time. Allison, who was my roommate in District 3 the whole time I've been here, is staying with us for the next week, since her new apartment isn't ready yet. We had both planned on drinking heavily once all of the bullshit with our landlady was finished, and after unpacking a bit we went to a corner store near the new building and bought a dozen beers. Then we watched around a dozen episodes of 'How I Met Your Mother' in a row, ordered in dinner, bought 10 more beers, and watched Youtube videos for about three hours. Sadly, Anthony had to work, so he missed out on the fun. After drinking many, many beers I fell into a deep sleep and didn't wake up until 11.

I feel much better today, knowing that I will never have to see my old landlady again, though there is some stuff related to the apartment that I need to care of. Earlier this afternoon I took some pictures of the place.
the entrance
living room


kitchen
my room
Shut up about the flowery bedspread, alright. Girls lived here before us and they left their sheets.

 Here is the view from my room. We're on the 24th floor.


 And two of today's storms.

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow.

14 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog. I'm from New Orleans, too. Small world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it`s a nice small appartment and a very beautiful view.
    how much is the rent for this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new place looks nice - guess you'll be spending time gazing out the windows now! Wondering what happened with your former landlady??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yea I'll be wasting a lot of time lording over the city. As I said I'll cover the landlady story in a bit.

      Delete
  4. I like your flowery bedspread. It looks nice in your room. The apartment looks new and clean. Does the rent 650 USD also include cleaning service? If it does how often do they clean the place? Also where do you park your motorbike? Are your roommates from the States as well?

    I think you should invite your former landlady over for dinner. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. great blog, can't wait to here about the landlady,
    i'm moving to vietnam soon, so i like to know about shady landlords and how to deal with them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous #1 - No, it doesn't include cleaning service, we're planning on cleaning it ourselves. There's a parking garage below the building, so my moto and bicycle are kept there for a monthly fee. And yes, my roommates are both American. Not sure if dinner with landlady would be a good idea, haha.

    Anonymous #2 - Thanks! Shady landlords seem to be fairly rare here, at least from what I've heard. My next post will be about the landlady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I was surprised at your landlord thoughts, but I fully understand your outburst. Shady landlords are about as common as scooters running red lights here. Get used to it. ;-)

      Delete
    2. I'm sure 'shady' landlords are common, but this woman was beyond shady. Pretty sure it's uncommon to have them actually become physically violent towards you.

      Delete
    3. I hope, for your sake, you're right. I've seen it more than once.

      Delete
  7. How big is the appartment and how long does it take to get to D1 city center?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. If you mean 'how big' in terms of square meters...I have no idea. Takes about 10 minutes to get downtown.

      Delete