HCMC Dining Guide

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Unconventional Thanksgiving

I spent this weekend in Chau Doc, a town in the Mekong Delta near the Cambodian border. Thanks to my job at the magazine I went as part of a PR campaign put on by a 4-star hotel there and didn't have to pay for anything. Before I get to that though, I'll get the obligatory Thanksgiving post out of the way.

Anytime you are out of the U.S., Thanksgiving is going to be a bit odd. No one outside of America understands why the holiday occurs, or what you are supposed to do on it. The last two years though, I was able to celebrate the day in at least some semblance of familiarity, with turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, etc. Of course, there was no football on the TV and it was 95 degrees outside, but with enough good food and a group of good friends it was close enough.

This year was different. Multiple plans involving full Thanksgiving meals fell through, so in the end my old roommate Allison came over around 3 and we ordered in turkey sandwiches, a can of root beer for her, a mango smoothie for me, and a pumpkin pie from Black Cat while watching 'Being John Malkovich'. There is no connection between that movie and Thanksgiving. All in all it was still an enjoyable day, though I can't wait to feast on Christmas Eve back in New Orleans in a few weeks.
Thanksgiving meal, 2012


2 comments:

  1. Your Thanksgiving dinner surely beats mine.

    Depending on whether we're talking the 4th Thursday of November, the 22nd here in Asia, or Friday, the 23rd (Thursday the 22nd back home in the U.S. when our family/friends were sitting down to turkey, yams and pumpkin pie)...

    If the former, I was stuffing my face with sushi at Chaingi airport in Singapore, followed a few hours later by a riveting little robbery of my backpack by a xe om in HCMC.

    If the latter, arguably a tad better: a steaming hot bowl of pho (leastwise it was ga, a close relative of a turkey?) at a bus stop en route back to my new home in Dalat.

    Either way, I'm drooling over your pumpkin pie. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a diverse holiday, with the exception the bag robbery - sorry to hear about that.

    ReplyDelete