Wednesday, March 27, 2013

One Week

In exactly one week I'll be cycling out of Hanoi on the first leg of a 2,000km (1,200 mile), 27-day charity bike ride down to Saigon. I did this ride, which is called H2H (Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City), in February of last year, and if you've been reading this blog for a while you've seen posts about it. This is the fourth version of H2H, and I'm actually the head organizer this year. Over the last few months I've put a ton of time and effort into gathering paperwork, coordinating with charities, arranging logistics, etc. There are 19 other cyclists taking part, and thus far we've raised roughly $21,000 for five charities that we chose for their support of disadvantaged children here. If you'd like to donate to H2H, go here:   https://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/michaeltatarski/h2h-charity-bike-ride-2013. It's a great cause, and 100% of donations go to the charities, as all on-ride expenses come out of our pockets.

Also, Jeff from the 2010 ride has put together a lovely little promo video, check it out:
I'll hopefully have one or two more posts before I fly up to Hanoi on Monday, and after that this page will be completely devoted to chronicling the ride. My goal is to post every day. We'll see if that happens.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck, and hope you have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all the countries in the world, what made you choose Vietnam as a place to live and work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty random question for this post. And why do it anonymously? Now you won't know when I respond.

      There was no big reason behind my deciding to live here. I wanted to work abroad but didn't have a very useful degree, I heard teaching in Asia was an easy gig to get, I had heard good things about Vietnam, so I chose it. Not teaching anymore (thankfully), and overall it's been a great decision, despite my recent complaining.

      Delete