HCMC Dining Guide

Friday, April 19, 2013

H2H 2013 Day 14: Bipolar weather

We had to take the vans from Da Nang back to P'rao, where we had left our bikes for the night. We didn't get out of the city until 8:30, so it was going to be a late start. After arriving back in our originally intended destination we got ready and headed off - it was already almost noon.

The weather on this ride from P'rao to Thanh My (a trifling 51km) couldn't decide what it wanted to be. It rained just before we set off, and then cleared into a steamy, sunny morning. The first stretch of the ride was great downhill, followed by a couple of hot climbs.

 After the climb came, obviously, a massive downhill. I can't seem to get my brakes to function fully, so I have been taking descents at simply idiotic speeds. If I ever lose control or have a car swerve into my lane I'm screwed. The hill bottomed out in front of an impressive dam that had been under construction last year, though I didn't have my camera with me thanks to the earlier rain.

Right after passing the dam the rain returned, just in time for the second climb. I welcomed it though, as it cooled me down and wasn't so heavy that things became dangerous. By the time I reached the top it had cleared again, and I was on my way down another descent right into Thanh My.
 The team gathered around a basic restaurant, and the consensus seemed to be that this had been a lovely day. I really enjoyed it. That night we found a roller disco blasting music right next to our hotel, which we obviously had to check out. I was amazed to see that they had legitimate roller blades. I played inline hockey throughout high school and college, and I couldn't wait to lace up a pair of skates for the first time in a few years. I had a blast skating circles around everyone else while working up a massive sweat. After goofing around for a while we had dinner and headed to bed. Another day in the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment