HCMC Dining Guide

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

$38,000

Fundraising for H2H 2013 closed last week, and overall the team raised just under $38,000, which is an awesome amount. This means H2H has now raised well over $100,000 in its four years of riding, which is nothing to sneeze at. Thanks to new relationships with different charity organizations that work with disadvantaged children, we hope to have an even bigger impact on poverty in the future. Or, to paraphrase my friend Phong, we want to keep kicking poverty in the dick. Of course, donors are just as important as the riders, and we wouldn't be able to help these charities without your support. I had several donations from anonymous blog readers, so a massive thanks to you, as well as anybody I know personally who donated. I was able to raise over $2,000 for the second year in a row, which I'm extremely happy about. I can't wait to see what the future has in store for H2H.

On a related note, I just came across an eye-opening mini-documentary by Radio Free Asia on street children in Saigon. I've mentioned this topic a few times before, and it is a difficult one to wrap your head around. A confluence of several nasty social issues, including prostitution, human trafficking, drug abuse, urban migration and lack of education, makes tackling the problem of street kids extremely challenging. This is probably the most informative thing I've ever seen or read on the subject. It's well worth the 15 minutes.


The charities H2H supports strive to help kids just like the ones you see in the video. Living in Saigon you see people like this every day, but few people have any sense of just how big of a struggle life on the street is.

Finally, I invite you to read my latest cover story for AsiaLIFE. It is on physically disabled people in Vietnam, but manages to be much more positive than you would expect. I found two incredibly inspiring disabled Vietnamese and their stories form the core of the article. They are truly amazing people. Feedback is appreciated.
http://www.asialifemagazine.com/vietnam/people-with-disabilities-in-vietnam/

1 comment:

  1. I'm watching the documentary at work and trying not to cry. It breaks my heart to listen to these children. My life could easily have been any of them if it weren't for my parents, which reminds me to count my blessings.

    ReplyDelete