HCMC Dining Guide

Monday, November 10, 2014

Urban/Rural

First off, the good news: the rainy season has FINALLY ended! All praise to the weather gods! (This means that everyone will now switch from bitching about the rain to bitching about the heat.) Thanks to the dry weather I'm finally having some productive afternoons. On Saturday I drove over to the Thu Thiem peninsula in District 2. (I've written about this area before, here and here.) The authorities plan to turn this area into another downtown, an incredibly ambitious plan given its current state. When I moved here in 2010 there was a community in Thu Thiem, but almost all of it has been torn down to make way for future construction. While the future of the area is unclear, for now it provides the best juxtaposition of urban and rural scenery in all of Saigon: the heavily developed central districts on one side of the river, overgrown fields (and even water buffalo) on the other side.


I shot a roll of film on the 35mm camera I came back to Saigon with as well, and I'm hoping I can get some pictures online once I get it developed. Hopefully I didn't screw things up too badly.

One strange thing I noticed was that the river seemed extremely high. There used to be a motorbike path where I took the below picture, but now it's almost completely covered by water. I'm not sure if this was just a high tide, or a sign of bigger problems in the future. It hasn't rained in four days.

2 comments:

  1. dang Mike you need to post more =*(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I've been super busy and the internet connection at my house sucks.

    ReplyDelete