HCMC Dining Guide

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Christmas

Another Christmas in Saigon has come and gone. No matter how opulent and omnipresent the decorations get (and the shops and malls try to outdo the previous year every time), I will never get used to it being 85 degrees outside on Christmas morning. I took the 25th and 26th off from work and had the second half of the 24th free, which was a nice  break from the hectic schedule of late. After finishing up at the office Wednesday afternoon I met up with a few friends at The Manor's pool, a great way to start the holiday.
That evening Abbe took me to the A O Show at the Opera House. The performance was a great example of what talented Vietnamese crews can do when they aren't trying to create some hokey crap they think tourists will like. If you're in Saigon, definitely check it out! On the way home we got stuck in the impenetrable Christmas Eve traffic that occurs when 8 million people get out on their motorbikes to look at the lights.

Christmas day centered on the brunch buffet at the New World, where the staff managed to create a new butchering of my last name even though I emailed the reservation with the correct spelling.
The spread, though, was amazing. Sushi, dim sum, veggies, wheels of cheese, the usual sides, all kinds of meat and a mouth-watering dessert selection, all accompanied by endless champagne, eggnog and wine. The only disappointment was the bone-dry turkey, otherwise everything was great. By the time we left I thought I was going to explode, but at least I got my 1.8 million's worth. The rest of the day, obviously, was spent digesting all of that on the couch.
I shall call you the cavity table.

Anyway, a belated Merry Christmas to my readers - I hope you all had a great one!

3 comments:

  1. Did you loose some weights Mike? You look skimmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I've lost a few pounds...blame it on small portion sizes combined with a lot of exercise.

      Delete