HCMC Dining Guide

Monday, January 26, 2015

Winter in Saigon

Wow it's been a long time since I posted.

This has been the most pleasant winter I've ever experienced in Saigon. Since the wet season ended the nights have been wonderfully cool, with the low temperatures sticking around for my drive to work in the morning. There have been a few days where it would've been nice to have a hoody on. The blue-sky days are hot, but not uncomfortably so. I went for a bike ride at 3 yesterday afternoon and felt great.

In fact, this cool weather has been record-breaking. On the morning of the 15th the low temperature hit 59 degrees (15 C), the coldest reading in Saigon in over 20 years. I know that sounds laughably mild to those of you in northern Europe or North America, but for most of the year we rarely see temperatures below 70, so that's pretty damn cold. It's more like Hanoi weather. Plus driving on a motorbike makes things seem even cooler.

As a result everyone is bundling up, with kids decked out in parkas, beanies and mittens, and most adults wearing jackets. I went out for a couple sidewalk beers Friday night and should've worn a sweatshirt. It's delightful. This cool spell has resulted in photo collections like "Working people in Saigon build fires in rare cold" and "Beautiful tropical Ho Chi Minh City in cold weather". (Apparently there has also been an uptick in respiratory illnesses, as people simply aren't used to this.)

Things are forecast to warm up by the time Tet arrives next month, so I'm going to enjoy every last minute of this. Come April it will be long forgotten among the brutal heat. 

2 comments:

  1. so you write for AsiaLife and Tuoitrenews Mike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only edit for Tuoitrenews, I don't write for them.

      Delete