HCMC Dining Guide

Friday, February 20, 2015

Chức mừng năm mới!

Or in English, Happy Lunar New Year! Thursday ushered in the Year of the Goat, as signified by this herd of golden goats at the Flower Street here in Saigon.
The atmosphere in the city has been great, with people being extra polite and shouting 'Happy New Year!' at passersby. Families have been out celebrating in their finest ao dai, and the traditional suspension of many laws that comes with the holiday means groups are out on the streets gambling and playing cards. Last night the city was a madhouse, with whatever restaurants that decided to stay open packed out the door and traffic chaos. Driving in the afternoon with just a fraction of the population still in town is glorious, and something I could really get used to.

Staying here for the Tet holiday has actually been great fun. I've gotten a lot of cycling in, and on New Year's Eve (Wednesday night) I had friends over for drinks and then we watched the fireworks from the roof of my building. The show launched from downtown was even more impressive than the one on January 1st, and as I looked around I spotted eight other displays in various parts of the city, some near and others way in the distance. There isn't as much food available, and yesterday was particularly tough since the delivery website I use was closed, but I've managed to survive. The time off has also given me a chance to catch up on some of the movies I've downloaded recently - since last Friday I've watched The Skeleton Twins, Birdman, Kill the Messenger, Nightcrawler, Source Code, Kick-Ass, The Guest and Rush, in addition to keeping up with my TV shows. Going back to the grind on Monday will be tough.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mike , I know that you are a foodykind of guy, have you tried this german sausage place? https://www.facebook.com/vuaxucxichleonking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, looks pretty good though!

      Delete
  2. man I wish i can go back for Tet one day..

    ReplyDelete