HCMC Dining Guide

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Packing Up

I haven't been very active on here recently - there were a couple of posts I wanted to do but I've been very busy, and when I have time at night I'm too tired to write anything. Tomorrow I'm off to Hanoi for my third H2H ride. We start cycling Friday morning and will finish 2,000km later in Saigon on April 29th. I've been ready to hit the road for a while now, and I can't wait to once again cruise through the Vietnamese countryside while riding for charity. Of course I plan to actually finish this time, but I don't seem to have ultimate control over that. I'm in absolutely phenomenal shape, but it all comes down to whether or not my quads decide to last the whole way. We shall see. Anyway, as in 2012 and 2013 I'll do my best to write about the ride on a daily basis, assuming we have internet at all of our stops.

Last week we received our slick cycling jerseys, and my bike is all boxed up and ready to be put on the plane.

Translation is "We are riding bicycles from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City for charity" 
We're still fundraising as well, and it's going quite well - as a team we're nearing $30,000 between online donations and events held here in Saigon. My personal fundraising total so far is pretty good, but my number of donations is a bit low - if you'd like to change that please visit this page: https://www.justgiving.com/Michael-Tatarski3/. We'll be visiting one of our charities outside of Hanoi on Thursday, and I'll post pictures so you can see exactly where your money is going.

Cycling will take up this page for the next month, so in the meantime here are three good Vietnam articles I've read in the past week:
The Wildlife Trade, from the New York Times
How public opinion may have saved thousands of trees in Hanoi, from the BBC
Seymour Hersh returns to My Lai for The New Yorker

Now I'm off to carb-load on Italian food, see you in Hanoi!

1 comment: